These Banana Muffins with Nutella Swirl are just another excuse to bake with two of our favorite ingredients, BANANAS and CHOCOLATE!! The base of this recipe is our tried and tested Blueberry Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel, we just replaced the blueberries with mashed riped bananas and lowered the sugar to balance out the sweetness of the bananas and Nutella. You have got to give the recipe a try, they make the perfect breakfast treat or snack. Bonus: the little monsters love these. Happy Baking!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE OUT BANANA MUFFINS WITH NUTELLA SWIRL
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
- 2 BAKING TEMPERATURES: We bake our muffins at two different temperatures. 220°C for 5 minutes to help make the top of the muffins dome and rise and then back down to 175°C for 18 – 20 minutes to continue baking the center of the muffins. This technique helps the muffins get a beautiful domed top.
- MIX GENTLY AND AS NEEDED ONLY. Throughout this whole recipe, we will be asking you to mix as little as you need to. Beating too much will activate gluten properties in the flour that we do not want. It will make your muffins gummy and tough and you will lose the beautiful, light, moist texture that these banana muffins with Nutella have.
- ROOM TEMPERATURE INGREDIENTS: The milk, butter, and eggs need to be at room temperature. When these dairy ingredients are allowed to come to room temperature air gets trapped inside them. Then while we bake them the air expands and we get a fluffier baked good. Also, cold ingredients just don’t incorporate well together and you will get an uneven batter. So trust us when a recipe calls for room temperature ingredients make sure you take the time to do it.
- BANANA HACK: The bananas need to be ripe to give moisture and sweetness to this bake. The darker the skin of the banana the better. Here is a hack when you want to bake with bananas but your bananas are not quite ready: Preheat your oven to 170°C. Wash your bananas and pat them dry. Place them on a baking sheet and into the oven for 30-40 minutes depending on the size and status of ripeness they were in. When they turn black and shiny they are ready. Take them out and let them come to room temperature, and you now have perfectly ripe bananas for this recipe. If your bananas are extra ripe but you cannot bake that day, a great way to keep them from going to waste is peeling and freezing the bananas in ziplock bags. Simply thaw and bring to room temperature before using.
MAKING THE BANANA MUFFINS WITH NUTELLA SWIRL
First, we need to beat together our room temperate butter and sugar in our stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (medium-low ) until well combined.
Next, add in your room temperature eggs one at a time, making sure it’s fully incorporated before you add the next egg.
After that, we add our baking powder, vanilla, and salt and give it a mix to combine.
Next we’re going to add the flour and milk, alternating a bit of each a time. Just until it is incorporated and stop. It is very important to not over mix the batter at this stage.
Fold in your mashed bananas using a spatula until well combined.
Lastly, Grease a muffin pan with nonstick spray or vegetable oil. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon fill the cavities of the muffin tin to the top. Melt your Nutella in the microwave for a couple of seconds so it’s easier to swirl into the batter. Drizzle about 1 tbsp of Nutella onto each muffin. Use a wooden stick, gently swirl the Nutella into the muffin.
Bake your Banana Muffins with Nutella Swirl in your preheated oven for 5 minutes. Then turn down the heat to 175°C and bake for another 18 -20 minutes or until a wooden stick inserted into the center of your muffin comes out clean.
Let them cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes. Then remove them from the pan and let them continue to cool on a wire rack. Serve with some extra Nutella spread. Enjoy !
Banana Muffins with Nutella Swirl
- 240 grams all-purpose flour 2 cups
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 113 grams butter (room temperature) 8 tbsp (room temperature)
- 150 grams granulated sugar ¾ cup
- 3 very ripe bananas (mashed) If you don't have ripe bananas check out our blog post hack on how to turn fresh bananas into ripe ones.
- ½ cup milk (room temperature)
- ½ tsp salt
- 150 grams Nutella spread ½ cup
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. We use the setting with the fan. This ensures even distribution of heat.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter + sugar until well combined on medium-low speed.
- Add room-temperature eggs one at a time. Scrape the sides of your bowl and beat a little more to make sure everything is well combined.
- Add in baking powder + salt + vanilla, beat to combine.
- With the mixer on low speed add the flour and milk alternating half each at a time, work quickly here we do not want to over mix. Turn off the mixer.
- Fold in your mashed bananas using a spatula until well combined.
- Grease a muffin tin with nonstick spray or vegetable oil. Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon fill the cavities of the muffin tin to the top.
- Melt your Nutella in the microwave for a couple of seconds so it's easier to swirl into the batter.
- Drizzle about 1 tbsp of Nutella onto each muffin. Use a wooden stick to gently swirl the Nutella into the muffin batter.
- Place muffins in preheated oven for 5 minutes. Then turn down the heat to 175°C bake for another 18 -20 minutes or until a wood stick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes. Then remove them from the tin and let them continue to cool on a wire rack. Serve with some extra Nutella spread. Enjoy !