Ready for a fun new twist on the traditional brownie. Try these fudgy, chocolaty, salty, nutty Chocolate Brownies with Tahini Swirl. They are so addictive, we are talking about sleepwalking at 2 am and stuffing your face with these addictive. We are aware some of you might be apprehensive to try tahini in a dessert. But think about it, tahini is just ground sesame seeds why wouldn’t it work? It adds a lightly toasted nutty flavor to these gooey brownies. It’s a match made in brownie heaven.
This is what you will need to make our Chocolate Brownies with Tahini Swirl
Things to keep in mind
- The Chocolate: We chose to use two different chocolates to achieve a nice balance, chocolate chips and a 70% chocolate bar. Together you get a not too sweet not too bitter tahini brownie. If you like a less sweet more bitter brownie use the 70% chocolate bar for both applications of chocolate.
- Cooking Time: It would be a shame to overcook these brownies. We find that 20-25 minutes is the perfect amount of time. For a fudgy brownie with melty chocolate on the inside try 20 minutes. For a slightly more set up brownie, still soft and gooey on the inside, try 25 minutes.
- Cooling: Please let these cool. We know everyone is always excited to cut into these straight out of the oven, but don’t. You will end up with a soupy mess. Be patient, it will be worth it.
- Substitutions: Give the Tahini a try it works great here, but feel free to substitute peanut butter, almond butter, or nutella. You can also leave all of these out, these are still the best brownies we have ever had regardless.
Lets make the tahini brownies
- Melted Butter
- Chocolate chips + 70% chocolate bar
- cocoa powder
Chop your chocolate bar into bite-size pieces with a knife, set that aside. Then melt your chocolate chips in a heatproof microwave-safe bowl at 15-second intervals, mixing between rounds. Be careful here it’s very easy it burn chocolate in the microwave. If you don’t have a microwave, place a heat-proof bowl over a pot of boiling water and continue to mix. It will melt in no time. Make sure no water gets into the chocolate. Chocolate + Water is a NO NO! It will cause the chocolate to seize up and there is no saving it.
Making the Tahini Brownies
Grease a 20x20cm (8x8in) square baking dish with cooking spray or vegetable oil. You can also line with parchment paper if you would like to remove them and cut into squares. We found this great brownie baking sheet, that makes individual square brownies. We love it, it ensures that each person gets the coveted brownie edge that everyone tends to fight over.
In a medium-sized bowl whisk together your sugar and melted butter for about 2 min. You can use a handheld mixer for this but it’s not necessary.
Add in your two eggs + vanilla. Whisk well, until the batter’s color looks lighter, another 2 min.
Whisk in your melted chocolate. As an introduction to tahini, we have used it only on the top. If you want a stronger tahini flavor you can add 1/4 cup of tahini here.
Sift in your flour + cocoa powder + salt. Then fold it together carefully ( do not overmix).
Fold in your chopped up chocolate, then pour your batter into your prepared pan. With a tablespoon, dollop the 9 tbsp of tahini over the top (imagine a grid, and add one dollop of tahini mixture to each square on that grid). Using the tip of a wooden stick swirl the tahini into the brownie.
Place into the oven for 20-25 minutes. If you like a more set up brownie go for 25, if u like a softer fudgier brownie 20 minutes.
Let cool completely (don’t try and cut these before they cool they will fall apart.) We like to drizzle on a little extra tahini and a good sprinkle of sea salt.
If you try these Chocolate Brownies with Tahini Swirl, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thetablediaries on Instagram. We love seeing all the recipes you and your family enjoy.
Chocolate Brownies with Tahini Swirl
- 170 grams melted butter
- 250 grams sugar 1 ¼ cup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 95 grams flour ¾ cup
- 30 grams cocoa powder ¼ cup
- 1 tsp salt
- 9 tbsp tahini add ¼ tahini in with melted chocolate if you want extra tahini flavor
- 100 grams chocolate chips melted
- 100 grams 70% chocolate bar chopped into bite-size pieces
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Grease a 20x20cm (8x8in) square baking dish with cooking spray or vegetable oil. Or line with parchment paper, if you would like to remove and cut into squares.
- Chop the chocolate bar into small chunks. Set Aside
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave at 15-second intervals, mixing in between. Set aside . *
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter + sugar. You can use a hand held mixer, we used a whisk for 2 min.
- Add your eggs + vanilla. Whisk for 2 min until the mixture is lighter in color.
- Whisk in the melted chocolate (after it has slightly cooled.)
- Sift in flour + cocoa powder + salt. Fold in with a spatula (do not over mix).
- Fold in your chopped chocolate bar.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- With a tablespoon, dollop the 9 tbsp tahini over the top (imagine a grid, and add one dollop of tahini mixture to each square on that grid). Using the tip of a wooden stick swirl the tahini into the brownie.
- Place into the oven for 20-25 minutes. If you like a more set up brownie go for 25, if u like a softer fudgier browine 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely (don't try and cut these before they cool they will fall apart.) Add some drizzle of tahini and a good sprinkle of sea salt before serving.