Tired of mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, or wedges? Try these Herb Smashed potatoes with Feta Garlic Dressing, perfectly crisp on the outside yet still soft and fluffy on the inside, the best of both worlds. Exploding with flavors of fresh rosemary, thyme, and garlic this has become a go-to side with any of our family meals. They actually barely make it to the table, you can smell these roasting in the oven, signaling the little monsters to invade the kitchen grabbing whatever they can. No sooner are they put down are they gobbled up and gone. Believe us, you will want to make extra. Serve them plain or top with our delicious Feta Garlic Dressing for the perfect salty, cheese, crunchy bite.
This is what you will need to make our Herb Smashed Potatoes with Feta Garlic Dressing :
Things to keep in mind:
The potatoes: We are looking for small potatoes here. Some places call them baby potatoes or dutch potatoes. Normal small potatoes do work here but they will need longer to boil. They are ready when a knife can easily pierce into the potato.
Herbs & Seasoning: Feel free to switch it up with the herbs and seasoning you and your family enjoy. Some that work well are the following:
- Smoked Paprika
- Cayenne or some Red Chili Flakes for some spice
For the Herb Smashed Potatoes:
Preheat your oven to 230°C. Wash your potatoes well and add them to a large saucepan. Cover with cold or room temperature water. Add in a tablespoon of sea salt, cover, and bring to a boil. Once the pot is boiling leave uncovered and let boil for 20 minutes. You should easily be able to pierce them with a knife. If your potatoes are bigger they might need some extra time.
Strain the potatoes into a colander and let sit for 10 minutes. Dump the potatoes onto your baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, add the smashed garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Toss together. Using the back of a cup carefully smash each potato down about halfway. Season with a generous helping of salt and pepper.
Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Then using a spatula flip over and bake for another 20-25 they should be nice and crisp and golden brown on both sides. Season with a little extra sea salt and serve this immediately with some of our garlic feta dressing.
Let’s make the Garlic Feta Dressing :
This garlic feta dressing adds a delicious creamy tang to the potatoes. Dollop some on the warm herb smashed potatoes and garnish with some dill. Serve any extra on the side for dipping.
Mix the feta, minced garlic, olive oil, and Greek yogurt together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. That’s it! It’s super easy but it really brightens up the dish and adds a tang to the potatoes.
If you try these Herb Smashed Potatoes with Feta Garlic Dressing, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #thetablediaries on Instagram. We love seeing all the recipes you and your family enjoy.
Herb Smashed Potatoes with Feta Garlic Dressing
For the Smashed Potato
- 650 grams baby potato
- 7 cloves garlic smashed with skin on
- 2 sprigs rosemary remove from stem
- 7 sprigs fresh thyme remove from stem
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
For the Sauce
- 50 grams feta
- 100 grams greek yogurt
- 1/2 clove garlic minced finly
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 230°C
- Add washed potatoes to a large saucepan and cover with cold or room temperature water. Add a tablespoon of sea salt, cover, and bring to a boil. Once the pot is boiling leave uncovered and let boil for 20 minutes or until you can pierce the skin easily with a knife.
- Strain the potatoes and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Pour potatoes onto your baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Add the smashed garlic, rosemary, and thyme. And toss together.
- Using the back of a cup carefully smash each potato down about halfway. We don't want them to break apart. Season with a generous amount of sea salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Using a spatula flip over and bake for another 20-25 until golden brown.
For the Sauce
- Mix the feta + yogurt + minced garlic + olive oil with a spatula. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the hot smashed potatoes on a plate, top with dollops of the sauce, and garnish with some dill and some extra sea salt.